As we all know that the basic function of the router is to provide network access to the smart Wi-Fi devices like phone, tablet or laptop without physically connecting to the networking device. However, you can’t connect to the internet directly from any router. You have to connect to the SSID of your router through passkey.
If you have not set up the passkey for your Belkin600 router yet, then pay kind attention to the upcoming steps and setup on your own. In case, only SSID is configured and is known to the third person, he can easily connect to the internet through your router without your knowledge. The status of your network and about the number of devices connected at a time can be checked through an online link.
After configuring the password for router’s SSID, no one can access the internet without knowing the password.
- Turn on the computer and connect the router to it through Ether cable available with the router.
- Go to ‘Control panel’ and click on ‘Programs’.
- Search for ‘Devices and software’ under ‘Programs’ and click on ‘Belkin600’.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Tap to check the updates. If an update is available, it will get downloaded automatically within 4-5 mins.
- Close the window.
- Enter the IP address of the router in the address field of the browser of your computer. You can open any browser on a computer. There is no as such limitation. You can check the IP address from the ‘sticker’ pasted at the back.
- No need to enter any password in the password field. Click ‘Submit’ and check the ‘Wireless’ screen.
- Go to ‘Security’ from wireless settings and check mode which is currently enabled on the device. You need to now configure password according to your preference. If you find any problem, you can go to the ‘Support and help’ link.
- For best security, 128 bit WEP type security key is preferred. It is the safest and easiest to configure.
- Tap ‘Generate’ from ‘Bottom’ left of the screen and check the device type. Select the device and wait for 1 minute. Once the password gets configured, you can safely browse the internet through a router. No intruder can log in to the router.
- In case the password field is left blank, anyone can easily connect to your Belkin600 SSID and start accessing the internet.
- Click to ‘Apply changes’.
If you are still not satisfied with the type of security you are being offered by the manufacturer of Belkin600, you can change the security type to WPA2, WPA or WEP.
If you have further concern regarding the Belkin Router Setup then you can visit the Belkin’s official support website: https://www.belkin.com/us/support/